How the Indiana
RUN FOR THE FALLEN WILL WORK
There will be a pre-staked Hero Marker every mile covering the 140 plus mile route. We run for over 500 heroes so some markers may have multiple names. The marker will have a date and time that the runners will arrive. The timing is very specific and will be listed by mile at specific intervals.
A small core team of athletes running 8-9 minute miles will arrive at the designated time (or as close as possible). When runners arrive at the hero marker they will be carrying four full size flags as well as small sets of American and Honor and Remember flags. American, Indiana State, Honor and Remember and Sacrifice Flags.
If available they will hand those four flags to any supporters waiting at the marker (veterans, or supporters, not necessarily family). They will then read the name of the hero, branch of service and date of death. Then raise the flags in salute, touch them to American soil and will give those to the Fallen Hero's Gold Star Families if present, step back, come to attention and salute before continuing mission to the next Hero Marker.
Runners will take turns carrying and placing the small flag sets. After salute the runners will pay respects to waiting immediate family members if present with a hug & small flags.
Retrieve run flags from those holding and then begin next mile. This will be accomplished in 90 seconds or less. There will be no hesitation, other families are waiting ahead. Each segment is specifically accounted for, 10 minutes apart. Families can fellowship before and after runners arrive at that Hero Marker.
Ceremony At Each Marker
- Runners approach Hero Marker
- Hand 4 flags over to waiting people if available. (otherwise hold)
- Flags held at attention by people at marker.
- Runners read hero information and place small flags.
- Runners salute the hero and family. (pay respects) handling the small flags to the Gold Star Families if present.
- New runners card and flag sets are handed to a runner for the next leg.
- Runners retrieve 4 flags and start to next Hero Marker.